Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Productivity tips for business owners | EnMast

?Time is the darkest Angel? ~ Chicago street art

As a business owner, your job is never ?done?. There is always more to do. I don?t like to work all the time. I like spending time with my family and friends. So it?s imperative that I get as much done in the hours I choose to work in as I can.

Here are my best ?tricks for getting more done every day.

  1. Time Blocks. Interruptions are productivity killers. When I know I have a deliverable that I need to get done, I set aside a block of time to work on it. I put it on my calendar and treat it like a client meeting. Then when I am in that time block I shut off all distractions. Email, phone, everything else can wait ? I?m in a meeting! Putting these hard blocks on my time is essential to getting stuff done.
  2. Focus Lists. Lists are handy for all kinds of things ? there are lots of ?productivity systems? that are based on lists. What I?m talking about here is a different kind of list. At the start of a day, or at the start of a time block, I?ll make a list of the 3 ? 5 most important things that I need to do (that I have all the equipment and information available to complete). Creating a short focus list like that further helps me to banish distractions ? when something comes to mind that isn?t part of one of those few tasks I can mark it down for later ? but these tasks are getting done.
  3. Breaks. When I?m focused and working hard time can sometimes fly by without me even noticing it. But my body notices! I?ll finally realize that my bladder?s bursting and when i try to get up my legs are so stiff I can hardly walk. This is not good, and surprisingly enough, it?s not productive either. When I plan focus time I make myself take a break every 90 ? 120 min ? stand up, walk around, notice if I?m hungry, thirsty, etc. Taking these breaks can keep your body from getting too depleted, and actually increases your focus and attention while you are working.

When I don?t employ these ideas and instead let my email, phone calls and team members distract my focus and attention, I find myself exhausted at 6PM and still staring at a ton of work to get done. Then you know what I do? I make a focus list, turn off my email and phone calls, and blast through my tasks. That?s right, many people who tell me how productive they are after hours could get that same work done during the workday if they were willing to create boundaries for themselves and their team members so that they can get it done.

How do you get it all done?

About Brad

As principal advisor of Anchor Advisors, Brad Farris has experience leading businesses & business owners into new levels of growth and success. Through his work with over 100 Chicago area small businesses he has experience in guiding founders and business owners through the pitfalls and joys of growing their business. Prior to joining Anchor Advisors, Brad spent over 10 years managing business units for a family-owned conglomerate with sales of $2 million to $25 million.

When not working Brad enjoys cycling, cooking and the NFL. He is married with 5 children and lives in Chicago, Illinois.

david choe national wear red day gunner kiel gunner kiel groundhog soulja boy punxsutawney phil

No comments:

Post a Comment